TRACK: Sonoma Raceway (2.52 mile, 12 turn road course). DISTANCE: 90 Laps — STAGE 1: 20 Laps, STAGE 2: 20 Laps, FINAL STAGE: 50 Laps, MILES (226.8 Miles)
- Toyota has won the last 2 races with Martin Truex Jr. including 3 of the last 5 visits overall.
- Truex Jr. has led the most laps in 3 straight years.
- Chevrolet has 1 win in the last 9 races and 2 in the last 13.
- Between JGR, or an affiliate as well as SHR, they’ve combined to win each of the last five races in Sonoma.
- 11th race on this 2.52 mile layout, including 2nd straight, but the last before 2019 was 1997.
- Last pole winner to win was Jeff Gordon in 2004.
- Just twice in the last nine years has the winner come from a top five starting spot.
- Due to being able to pit and not lose a lap, the top drivers typically give up stage points to pit just before the ending of that segment for track position after. Just once in the three year stage era at Sonoma has the eventual race winner placed inside of the top 10 in a stage. That was Martin Truex Jr. finishing seventh in the second stage of 2019. The other five combined stages, the race winner didn’t get finish in the top 10 of those stages.
Slower more technical road course on the schedule. More run off space than most other places to where if you get off track, more than likely you’re getting into the sand and not a wall. The final 2 corners and Turn 2 the best passing spots. That makes this a tough comparison to anywhere else on the schedule.