TRACK: Streets of St. Pete (1.8-mile, 14-turn street course), DISTANCE: 100 Laps (181 Miles)
This will mark the 17th straight year the series has been coming to St. Pete, but the first time since 2009 that the race has occurred in April. Last year, the race was moved from March to the season finale in October due to COVID and this year it was moved again from the season opener to late April in hopes of being able to host more fans by doing so.
- Penske has won 5 of the last 7 years here including 2 straight from Josef Newgarden.
- 14 of the 16 years has the winner came from a top 10 starting position.
- 11 of the last 15 race winners at St. Pete started in the top five.
- Just once in the last 4 years though has the winner came from a top 5 starting spot.
- Just twice has the pole winner won at St. Pete, the last coming in 2010.
- 3 of the last 5 years this race has seen just 2 total cautions. We had 6 last year.
- Since the new car came out in 2018, the “Big 3” have won 41 of the 49 races run (84-percent). Penske has won 22 times with Ganassi (11) and Andretti (8). But, RLL is next best with four victories while no one else has more than three.
- Throw in RLL and you get 45 of 49 races won by these teams.
- If you go back to 2016 though, that number stays the same. The “Big 3” have won 67 of 85 races run in that time frame. Throw in RLL and you get 74 of 85.
TRACK COMPARISONS/WHO’S BEEN GOOD ON THEM
St. Pete being a street course is unique in the sense that we don’t have many of them on the schedule. Last year, there was just one – this race. This year, we have a few more in Long Beach, Belle Isle and Toronto. These are the best comparisons to St. Pete in the fact that the top drivers on those places are also good at St. Pete too.
If you go back to the start of the 2019 season, we’ve had six races on these circuits with four different winners. Josef Newgarden is the only multi time winner with three trips to victory lane, two of which coming on the streets of St. Pete.
The big teams are strong on them with Penske winning four of those last six races and Andretti and Ganassi having one each.
Andretti says this is their top types of circuits, where Penske is probably second in nature followed by Ganassi.