The rain delayed Food City Bristol Dirt Race is now behind us. While it’s hard to give too much credit or too little praise for a one-off dirt event this week, my second installment of who’s hot or who’s not will include all the races run this month as we end March and head into April.
We had races at Las Vegas, Phoenix, Atlanta and Bristol this month. Here’s who’s on hot streaks.
- Kyle Larson – Bristol dirt didn’t go well, but Larson has a win (Las Vegas), seventh in Phoenix and runner-up at Atlanta to close a great month for a championship contender.
- Denny Hamlin – He’s had a top five in all but one race run this season. That was at Homestead (last month). For the month of March, Hamlin was fourth, third, fourth and third respectively.
- Martin Truex Jr. – He won at Phoenix, was sixth in Vegas, ninth in Atlanta and 19th despite leading the most laps on Monday in Bristol.
- Ryan Blaney – Following finishes of 30th, 15th and 29th respectively in February, Blaney finished in the top 10 in all four races this month. He won eight days ago in Atlanta and was fifth in Vegas as well. Blaney, finished eighth Monday at Bristol.
- Joey Logano – He was ninth to start the month in Vegas, runner-up at Phoenix, 15th in Atlanta and won in Bristol. Not too bad.
- Kevin Harvick – He’s only led 17 laps all season, but he also has a top 10 in all but two races run as well. That came with a 20th place result in Vegas and 15th in Bristol. Harvick, was sixth, 10th and respectively since to close out the month.
- Kyle Busch – A pair of top fives (Las Vegas, Atlanta), a 10th in Phoenix and 17th in Bristol allows Busch to join this list.
- Brad Keselowski – He’s had two top five finishes (Las Vegas, Phoenix) in the four races run this month.
- Christopher Bell – He won last month on the Daytona road course and ends March with two top 10’s in four starts.
- William Byron – He also won last month at Homestead, but his stats didn’t diminish much in March. Byron, was eighth in three straight races and sixth on Monday.
- Ricky Stenhouse Jr. – While he’s not had a top 10 this season, he did have four top 13 finishes in four races run this month including a runner up on Monday.
- Stewart-Haas Racing – Harvick is on the warm list, but Aric Almirola has been 20th or worse in three of the four races run this month including 36th on Monday. Cole Custer was 25th, 31st, 18th and 24th respectively while Chase Briscoe was 21st, 22nd, 23rd and 20th respectively himself. SHR has some work to do.
- Chip Ganassi Racing – Not a great month for them either. Kurt Busch was 19th, 15th, 39th and 16th respectively in his No. 1 Chevrolet while Ross Chastain was 23rd, 19th, 14th and 35th respectively.
- Michael McDowell – Following a great month of February, McDowell has since cooled off. He was 17th, 23rd, 19th and 12th respectively in March after being first, eighth and sixth respectively in February.
- Ryan Preece – He too had a great month of February with a pair of top 10’s in three starts. Since? 15th, 26th, 25th and 18th respectively.
- Bubba Wallace – He’s had a pair of 16th place finishes the two weeks prior to Bristol, but 28th (Vegas) and (Bristol) before and 27th after.